Thursday, September 15, 2011

Settling In

It's been three days and the jet lag is still getting to me, but I've been spending my days in the city marveling at the fact that yes indeedy I am finally in Ireland.

Today was another busy day trying to get my phone unlocked - which took me across the river Liffey courtesy of the Ha'Penny Bridge. I love that Dublin is so walkable. I got off the bus at Graffton Street and walked to Trinity, then I took O'Connell street and followed that across O'Connell bridge which is another bridge that crosses the Liffey and found myself in a whole new part of Dublin. Equally beautiful with tons of shops and secret walkways. I had to get to O'Connell street to find the store where I could get my cell phone unlocked and while I was waiting I shopped a bit.

How awesome is Marks & Spencer?? Lets take a moment to thank the creators of this marvelous shop. Not only is it a clothing store, they have wonderful food selections with a whole section of pre-made quiches and desserts. Things like tomato and broccoli quiche and rhubarb caramel crumble and fancy French torts. I sit here writing as I munch on a quiche...so good! Hitting the spot.

I wanted to take a picture of Daniel O'Connell's statue the great Irish Liberator who fought for Catholic Emancipation and Repeal of the Union. Now his statue is a great place for pigeons to sit and poop. Alas, in my way back from Marks and Spencer and the phone unlocking I ended up walking down a different street and found myself at the Temple Bar district without even realizing. As I walked out of the corridor of bars I thought I would once again be on O'Connell street but like I said Dublin is very walkable and you can easily end up back where you started as I did at Trinity College. At least this means that after a late class, the bars are right close!


Back onto Grafton I ventured to get myself a sim card. An Irish band, the same one I enjoyed a preview of yesterday sat playing outside the Tom Ford store so I stopped to have a listen. It really is so pretty on Grafton. The store are mostly boutique and luxury but the scenery is worth the visit. All old buildings with great names and history. It hard to describe the way everything is laid out because Trinity converges around a roundabout and Grafton shoots off of that so everything is sort of in a circular motion.

I got myself a bus pass so this weekend I will be visiting both Dublin Castle and Kilmainham Goal. So excited for both of those visits. Especially Kilmainham due to the history. It housed members of the 1916 Uprising and tourists can actually go in and see where the prisoners were held and executed. I learned all about it in my Irish history classes so I can't wait to see it live.

I had the feeling today that I am starting to fit in here. I love getting lost in the streets, turning left and right without knowing where everything will take me. I love the little signs on store fronts or bridges or archways to alleys that seem to give you little pieces of advice as you walk. I saw today on the Ha'Penny Bridge - Where Dreams Begin it made me smile and want to take a picture but I ran the risk of getting trampled by busy passerby.


All in all I had a great day, even if it was mostly business. I'm more relaxed here. I don't worry so much about timing or getting things done. I know it'll all work out somehow and I'll get business done all in good time. Maybe that's the Irish way. The feeling that even if the streets are busy. No one is pushy or anxious or ready to run you down if you don't get out of their way. Everyone is friendly and ready to help and even though it's a city full of about a million we all go at our own pace. Maybe this atmosphere will teach this Aries to calm down and go with the flow. I figure that can only be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment