Thursday, November 24, 2011

I Can Stay!

Canadians get special treatment in Ireland, we are loved and adored by all and trusted not to disrupt the nation or make bad decisions. This is true because unlike my American neighbours I was allowed to stay in the country, without having to visit the GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) until well into December. Americans and many of those from other countries were required to go into the Garda center in early October to get their immigration stamp and unlike me had to wait in lines of up to 5 hours - some even had to return twice. 

I had been hearing horror stories of the GNIB experience since my arrival and can tell you I was not looking forward to my turn, but despite the stories of my roommates I was determined to go in with a smile and turn on the Canadian charm. I figured I'd have to wait, I knew the lines would be long, I planned on it and expected it. I worried slightly because some people had told stories of how strict they were, how if you didn't have every document in perfect order they would send you away. The bank statement to show proof of available funds in an Irish bank was dated early October - I had since spent money and didn't want to risk getting another statement only to be told I had too little in my account. I was also worried about the health insurance piece. One of my roommates was turned away and had to buy separate Irish insurance even though she was covered in America. I was worried my paperwork wouldn't be official enough.

I decided that I would use this Wednesday to take my turn, I still had over 3 weeks to go before I was required to have the immigration stamp on my passport, but I figured better to get it over with sooner rather than later. So I woke up early, made my way to the city center, grabbed a large carry mug of tea and made my way over. 

The lines were nil, I got my number and read that I was 59th in line. They were serving number 55. I waited about 15 minutes, went up to the kiosk and met a very friendly man. I smiled, was pleasant, wished him a good morning and sat down to wait while he looked over my papers. He asked my for my health insurance. I fumbled a bit, realizing I had forgotten to stick those papers in the pile. As I hurried to find the insurance plan statement and my health card he stopped me. I looked up and he smiled and told me no worries, he believed me - he knew I must have the insurance, didn't need the proof. I was pleasantly surprised. He then took my pictures (I asked him if I could smile and he said yes). He then told me to go back and take a seat and they would call me when my card was printed. 

I sat down once again and waited about 20 minutes. They called my name - Canadian National McKendry, and I went up to get my card and my stamped passport. 

I was a lucky one, I was in and out of the Garda station in an hour and 15 minutes. No fuss no muss, all in all a very pleasant experience. I never even had to pull out my book or my Ipod. 

It helps to go in with a good attitude. I think some of my roommates missed the memo on that one. 

So, long story short I am now a legal resident in Ireland, and because I was so sweet, the man gave me an extra month of residence and stamped by passport with an expiry date of October 2012, instead of September. Yay!

**I had pictures up, but Uncle Bruce kindly reminded me about the little issue of identity theft. Thought it best not to advertise my passport and GNIB card online **

No comments:

Post a Comment